Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Running, running as fast as I can

I am not a runner, jogger, fast walker...whatever you want to call it. I enjoy running about as much as getting a tooth pulled. As a matter of fact, I'm convinced that no one really enjoys it when they first start running. I mean really, who likes side cramps, sore muscles, creaky knees and chest pain? My philosophy has always been to only run if I'm being chased. 

So why, of all things, would I even want to run in a marathon? I think there is something to be said of people who can endure months of training and hours of pain. Marathon runners have self-discipline and drive. They see an end goal and can endure agony and pain to achieve that goal. It's more about determination than physical prowess. Ideally, my goal is to complete a half-marathon either this spring or next spring. 

To go along with the topic of this blog post, the next memory verse, of course, is about running...1 Corinthians 9:24. "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize."


Also, some tools that I found to help train for marathons...yes, one is an iPhone app. 1) During the month of January, RunKeeper is having a special promotion where you can download the RunKeeper Pro app for free! It's normally $9.99, so this is a great deal - but there are only a few days left to get this for free. I haven't started using it yet, but it has tracking, routing and social capabilities. 2) As I was reading the February issue of Fitness magazine, I came across a section of marathon training plans that provide a weekly guide of how you can work up to your goal. These can all be found for free online and you can even sign up for e-mail newsletters.

No comments:

Post a Comment