Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What's cookin'

I am by no means a gourmet chef or even a chef, for that matter. I never understood why people would slave over a hot stove for hours preparing food, when it takes just a few minutes to devour it. However, after I got married and left home, I realized my mom isn't going to be cooking for me anymore and now someone else depends on me to feed him. Since my ever-trusty meals of spaghetti and potato wedges have grown a little stale the past few years, I've decided I need to add new recipes to my repertoire of culinary "masterpieces". Well, not so much masterpieces, but just edible creations that my husband willingly consumes.

Earlier this week, I found a recipe on the Cooking Light website that looked extremely easy...okay, it was so easy that I really wouldn't even call it cooking. It's basically combining a few ingredients (I didn't even have to turn on the stove). 

{ Curried Chicken Salad } from Cooking Light
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • 1 cup chopped skinless, boneless Grilled Lemon-Herb Chicken (about 4 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup chopped Braeburn apple (about 1 small)
  • 1/3 cup diced celery
  • 3  tablespoons raisins
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preparation: Combine mayonnaise, curry powder, and water in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add the Grilled Lemon-Herb Chicken, chopped apple, celery, raisins, and salt; stir mixture well to combine. Cover and chill.

Nutritional Information: Calories: 222 (22% from fat)| Fat: 5.4g (sat 0.9g,mono 1.7g,poly 2g) | Protein: 17.5g | Carbohydrate: 26.9g | Fiber: 2.5g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Iron: 1.5mg | Sodium: 731mg | Calcium: 30mg


** I bought a cooked rotisserie chicken (1/2 price at Walmart) and used the breast meat. It was a tad on the salty side, so I didn't add any extra salt - just black pepper. I also used whatever apple I had in the fridge, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Braeburn. You can substitute the mayonnaise for fat free mayo, Miracle Whip or plain yogurt. **

Below is a free printable recipe card that you can download for your recipe file. 

2 comments:

  1. That actually sounds pretty yummy! I may have to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is tasty and super easy to make. The hardest part is getting everything chopped up.

    ReplyDelete