Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Checkmate my mate

Learn how to play chess with my husband - check (mate)! Chess is a game that has the reputation for being reserved for only intellectuals and those with extra letters or abbreviations after their names. Not so though, it's not just for geeky, smart kids, and you don't need a PhD to learn how to play. However, it does take patience and concentration. I think that's why I never bothered to learn until now. I'm easily distracted...ooh, shiny...and enjoy games where talking isn't frowned upon. One game can last for what seems like an eternity, and not like in the Monopoly kind of way...more like, the Quiet Game when you're 3-years old kind of way. 

My interest in the game of chess stemmed from my husband and his affinity for the game. He is actually one of those intellectual types whose idea of fun is sitting in a silent room by himself so he can think. Yikes, sorry hubby! Well, of course I want to try to understand and enjoy some of his hobbies, so that's why chess, water skiing and snowboarding are on the list.

For a while now, the hubs has been lusting over a fancy, new, marble or wood chess set...but who wants to pay $100 or more for one of those things? While we were in Mexico during our cruise, we spotted some marble/stone ones at one of the numerous shops designed to lure in tourists like us. These chess sets were actually pretty nice, with an array of colored-stones and varying shapes, and they were a decent price...so we left Mexico with our one and only souvenir from our trip.

We were finally able to use it on our last sea day before returning stateside. That day was actually rainy and kind of cold - perfect for napping, reading a book, playing a game or relaxing, so most of the entire ship retreated inside to the warmth. We followed suit and found a cozy little area at the front of the ship to set up our riveting game of chess. I am happy to report that I not only learned how to play chess, but I also beat my husband the first time I played! Happy Valentine's Day to my brainy husband!  
 
Are you wanting to learn how to play chess, too? Basic rules can be found here.

Also, along with the theme of chess, the next verse deals with patience. Psalm 37:7 - "Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for Him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes." This is such a great reminder in this world we live in. With all the chaos around us, we are urged to be still, be patient and wait for Him.

Download and print a 4 x 6 of this verse here or save it as your iPhone wallpaper by clicking on the image to the right and saving it to your phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment