Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What do you do?

As I hear of the amazing career exploits of friends and acquaintances, I can’t help but consider and reflect upon my own career. What has led me to this point in my career? Is this really where I want to be? My soul-searching journey and challenge the next year or so is one of personal discovery and self-reflection, so that I can maximize my full potential and passionately become what God has intended for my life – both personally and professionally. I know that I have been blessed with opportunities, education and talents, but am I really using all of this to make a difference in this breath of time I’ve been given in this world? 

So much of our lives are tied to our careers, since we spend the majority of our day at our jobs. What is the one question you will be asked the most in life, besides what your name is?...“What do you do?” Sometimes I get a little annoyed by the question, because I think to myself..."Um, I do a lot of things." However, my canned response is usually, “well, I’m a graphic designer.” Really though, I’m not just a graphic designer. In fact, I didn’t even go to school for graphic design, but that just happens to be my career at the present moment. Sure, I love designing and appreciate good design, but to encompass my entire identity around “what I do” is so limiting and constrictive. I am not defined by what I do; what I do is just a part of who I am.

Last week, while I was thinking about all of this, I checked my e-mail and saw that a friend of mine had sent me a Bible verse reminding me of who we are in Christ. It’s amazing how God uses the people in our lives to speak to us exactly in the time that we need His word.

That verse was Ephesians 2:10. Download the free 4x6 printable here or click on the verse above to download and save the image as your iPhone wallpaper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment